Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Book Review: 11/22/63


I just recently joined a book club at school. I'm the worst member though because I have yet to make a meeting. The first book that we read was Stephen King's 11/22/63. I was completely dreading reading this book. Stephen King has never appealed to me, and when I received this brick of a book in the mail I was totally against it. Of course, the literary gods proved me wrong and I absolutely loved it!


Jake Epping is a recently divorced high school English teacher. He also teaches GED classes. This is where he meets Harry. Harry has had an extremely tragic life. His dad murdered his brothers, mom and sister when he was younger. Harry was injured in the attack as well. Jake feels for Harry and wishes that he could change this janitor's outcome.

In comes Al, who owns the diner that Jake has always ate at. Al has come down with Lung Cancer and before he goes he wants to show Jake a secret that he has been keeping. Working in the back one day, he stumbled upon a time portal. Every time Al steps in he is in Maine 1958. He decides that he is going to change the world and stop the Kennedy assassination. This means that he will have to live in the past for nearly 5 years. Each time he comes back to the present though it has only been two minutes. Al never made it to 1963 because he became sick. His dying wish is for Jake to finish what he has started. Jake decides that he can save Kennedy and his dear friend Harry.

Even after reading the summary I was still hesitant to read it. I loved this book. The ending was not what I wanted to happen, but the sweet love story that happens throughout definitely made up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment