Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tales from a Mute - The conclusion (hopefully)

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I made it 6 days without talking. I was for the most part pretty silent. I seemed to always forget when I first woke up in the morning and when a frog sound came out was quickly reminded. Christmas Eve I started to talk a little bit. It was a little hard getting my vocal chords to work at first. Sunday I tried to go back to not talking, but it was just about impossible. I was over it, and couldn't stay silent for a moment longer. I was a little sore Sunday night, but after that could speak pretty easily.

I went to the doctor on the 27th. He said that my vocal chords looked great, but my voice didn't sound like it should. It was still a little hoarse and not strong at all. His directions were to not strain my voice for two weeks. I was good for the rest of Christmas break, but I had to tell him once school started up that would be near impossible. He told me to do my best and that I couldn't coach my game on Thursday. School on Tuesday was really hard. I was not used to talking that much, and by lunch was in a lot of pain. The rest of the week was alright. I tried to do a lot of independent activities so that I wasn't talking to the class as a whole. Projecting my voice to the entire classroom was hard after awhile. I didn't call any of my friends or talk much once I got home. It was just sort of uncomfortable. Thursday night was pretty bad though. I did pretty good not yelling in my game until the end. My assistant coach did most of the yelling until we were 25-25 with about 2 minutes to go. I gave up there. I had to yell, my girls needed me. This is my first year to be the A Team 7th grade basketball coach. I was really nervous at first. I don't know all that much about basketball, enough to get me by, and I have never lead something like this before. I was luckily blessed with two great assistant coaches that understand I'm learning and a team of girls who have enough skills that make it look like I know what I'm doing. They, too, get that this is my first time to be the head coach so they are patient with me. Anyway, I was in a lot of pain Thursday night. Took a pain pill and woke up crying in the middle of the night. Friday was pretty hard too. I go back to the doctor today, so we will see what he says. Hopefully, he'll have some answers for me.

Have a good rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment