Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tales From a Mute Days 1 and 2

Well, it's official. I am mute until at least next Tuesday. Maybe even longer if the doctor feels like my vocal chords nees to heal a little more at my post-op appointment.

Monday morning Dustin and I woke up bright and early, picked up my mom, and checked into the hospital at 8:15. This was when I started to get pretty nervous. I have not been in the hospital since the day I was born. I've had two other surgeries, Lasik and getting my wisdom teeth pulled. Neither I had to put on a hospital gown, lay in a hospital  bed, or have an IV. I was a little freaked out. My mom and Dustin were able to sit with me until the end. I don't remember much after that. I remember them carting me into another room and moving to the other bed. After that I got nothing. The next thing I remember is a nurse asking me if I needed any pain meds. My throat was hurting, but it was not extremely painful. I was uncomfortable and very drowsy. Even though I wasn't supposed to be talking I think I remember telling one of the nurses that I felt like I was in a dream. The same nurse kept asking me if I needed more pain meds and kept telling me I could still have more. I think I finally got to a point where I thought... eh, why not?

I finally got carted off to another room where my mom and Dustin could come sit with me. This is where the waiting began. This may be a little TMI so I apologize now but, they wouldn't let me leave until I peed. Which for some reason was completely impossible. I guess I got really dehydrated during the surgery and didn't drink as many liquids as I should have the day before. During school, I am really good about drinking water. I go through a whole 24 pack in about 4 days. When I am out of school I just don't think about. Anyways, after TWO IV bags, a glass of apple juice, two glasses of tea, jello, 2 things of apple sauce, chugging two glasses of water, and one threat of a catheter, I finally went after only 3 1/2 hours. It was ridiculous. We spent the rest of the day hanging out at my parents house and laughing at me not being able to talk. Luckily, I am not on any diet restrictions except that it can't be something that will poke at my throat like chips. I am dying without chips and queso.

I am on a pain medicine I take every 4 hours and some steroids to help my throat not swell and help me not clear my throat or cough. This morning was interesting. Since it is really just a sore throat I forget I still need to rest. I got up this morning and went shopping with my mom and Nana. I carried around a dry erase board with me all day. At one point in Buy Buy Baby, I lost my mom and needed help finding something. When the lady asked if I needed help I whipped out the dry erase board and just started writing. My mom was moritified when she came by and  I was communicating with this lady on a board. Morgan came over later and took me to Target where I got the rest of my Christmas shopping done. I am officially finished Christmas shopping which I am super excited about. I finally came home, wrapped my presents, and crashed. My throat was killing me and it was really hard to swallow. After my nap, I felt a billion times better. Just shows that I push myself too much and need to learn to rest. I have ordered myself to the couch tomorrow and will rest.

I have forgotten three times that I can't talk. I got onto the dog this morning for jumping up at the counter and that really hurt. Twice I talked to Dustin, but caught myself. My voice sounds funny though. Hopefully it will all work out. The doctor said not to expect immediate results.

Dustin has been super sweet. I thought he was going to drive me nuts, but he has been taking care of me. His favorite thing to say is "You know, you must be really mad because you haven't said two words to me all day" or when I try to mouth something out to him and he say "what?! speak up!"

 They put this "Fall Risk" braclet on me, and I thought it was hilarious. In fact, I'm still wearing it.
Trying to avoid my mom while she takes a picture of me. That gown looks massive on me doesn't it? 


  1. Taylor,
    We are saying prayers of healing for you! Dustin, keep up the great TLC, while Taylor gets better!

    Anna & Tim
    Daisy & Scout

  2. You're so funny! I cracked up reading this! You must take it easy and rest and take your pain meds they will help the soreness. Sorry the nurse in me had to remind you! Glad everything went well! I can't believe they said you were a fall risk ha but the bracelet is nice! We don't have ones like that. Hope you have a great Christmas!
    Love, Lauren